Ranking system

Likes, dislikes, features, requests...

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ranking system

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:18 am

I think we're going to implement a ranking system as seen on many other phpBB forums... Its not that we really need one but it does offer a small attaboy as well as help to indicate those who may be more helpful and knowledgable in their answers. Or they're more prolific in writting messages :wink:

Currently, we're working with 16 levels... I'm about as artistic and imaginative as a bump on a log so i've started out very easily and used some of my programming background... The following are the basic ranks and their achievement levels...
    0 quantum foam
    1 quark
    2 proton
    4 nucleus
    8 atom
    16 molecule

32 dust
    64 rock
    128 comet
    256 asteroid
    512 planet
    1024 star

2048 solar system
    4096 cluster
    8192 galaxy
    16384 local group
    32768 super cluster
    65536 Universe
Then we have the special rankings of troll, spammer, dark matter (mods), and dark energy (administrator)... You don't want to get a ranking of troll or spammer, that's for sure ;)

In looking at the levels, you can see that they double the number of posts required for each jump... This seems to be pretty straight forward and relatively equal across the line... I've shamelessly borrowed the ranking names from the forums at space.com... With both themes being space oriented, it just fits. but I may rename one or two of them to fit more inline with the scheme of miniscule to huge... I think that "gas" should go in there between "molecule" and "dust"... Then there's possibly a couple of other changes I'd make in the upper levels... Still thinking about it...

What do you think? Give me some suggestion in keeping with the theme of the system for the ranking names and if you thing that the number of posts between each needs to be modified, let me know that as well... This forum is just starting off and we all know that everyone starts at the bottom and then climbs over time 8)

[edit: adjust post quantities and rank names to new theme.]
wkitty42
solar system

Postby sk33t3r » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:44 am

I think I like those rankings, wkitty. They seem to run from smallest to largest fairly well ;) The increase from one rank to another is not linear but it does also fit with the overall scheme. It can take a billion years for dust to develop into a planet, for instance ;)
sk33t3r
star

Postby sandman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:19 pm

I wonder how long it'll actually take to reach Universe level 8) At one message a day, you're looking at almost a year to reach Asteroid :shock: Maybe we could start one of those "perpetual threads"? :lol: :lol:
sandman
solar system

Re: Ranking system

Postby sjb1964 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:35 am

Well it will probably take me a while to get any high rankings, i have a network to run, i thank wkitty42 for his many years of support and for getting me in to all this, i would still be sitting over here with maybe 1 or 2 computers and now i have 12 servers running and about 5 client computers, so i guess i am saying running all that posting on my site and here will take a while to get a good rank.
Again keep up the good work wkitty42. L8R
sjb1964
proton

Return to Support/Feedback