Older What's New Items

New additions, changes, procedures in effect at Waldo's Place USA.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Older What's New Items

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:48 pm

Image26 September 2003Image

Things seem to be working out pretty well with the new changes. Using CSS has enabled us to easily maintain a uniform look throughout the site. We've also had a much easier time adding new pages and maintaining the side menu. This update brings more changes and adjustments but you likely won't notice them directly.

1. Added a Site Map
  2. Added a weather info feed from Intellicast.com
  3. Lots of page code cleanup and uniformity adjustments
  4. worked on the RemoteAccess BBS section cleaning up the documentation pages
  5. cleaned up the Fidonet section, history and documention
  6. cleaned out some old and dead links to other sites
  7. more SEO (search engine optimization) to enhance our listings in the search engines.
The next major phase of the SEO work on the site will entail getting more outside links pointing to the site and actually pointing to specific sections within the site. That's known as Deep Linking because the links are to pages "deep" within the site. Currently, the site is only 4 or 5 levels deep. That's OK, too... More levels could hurt the site and make navigation a real nightmare. Take a look at the Site Map for a good look at the current hierarchy of the site.

==========

11 August 2003

Oh my... more changes and updates... Yep! Yep! Yep! How about a new look to the old site? We've dropped the frames and frame support. Instead we've implemented Cascading Style Sheets along with standardizing the menu across the entire site. Things will be a tad easier to maintain, now... At least, that's what we're told.

==========

24 March 2003

So many updates, so little time... Maybe I'm not getting any better with posting what new updates have been done to the site <<GG>> Oh well...

Updates made this go round are...

1. Added Sophos Virus Information Feed.
  2. Added JAVA-Telnet Client Terminal.
  3. Modified A Few Words About Telnet Page to have links to both methods of Telnet to the BBS.
==========

22 May 2002

Well, maybe I'm getting better with posting what new updates have been done to the site <<GG>> As you can see from below, the last update was to put in place some java games and add a new button to take you over to play them. This particular update is to let you know that the SPACE Links page has been updated with some new content. We signed up with SPACE.COM for their "syndicated" news headlines. We don't control any of that content and none of it is hosted here. Clicking on those links will take you over to SPACE.COM's site.

We also added another TLE (two line element) file to the space files area. This one is Mike McCants' ALLDAT.TLE elements list. For those of you who don't know what I'm rambling on about, a TLE is a set of numbers used in math equations to figure out where a satellite is in space in relation to us, here on earth. You don't have to worry about them or how to use them. Just feed them to a satellite tracking program like Dave Ransom's STSPLUS and let it tell you where the satellite is. I've been using numerous programs, over the years, to track satellites and have had excellent results with all of them. Much to their praise, they have enabled us to view MIR, the russian space station, before it was brought back to earth, the International Space Station and several space shuttle flyovers. We have even seen all three of those objects in the sky at once!! It is always a huge thrill to go out and see the ISS fly over and within minutes see a shuttle chasing it along the same track on it's way to or from the station.

Well, I guess that's about all for now. Take a look in here again real soon! I think one of the next updates will actually be visible on the main page as i add some sort of visual indicator to let you know when the button links have been updated with new content. Remember, though, that the files areas are always getting new files in numerous areas, almost each and every day.

==========

11 Apr 2002

Geez, about the same amount of time has passed since my last entry and the one before. I don't know what to say. Yes, I have been doing some thing behind the scenes that have enhanced the site but nothing that you would notice... until now...

There is a new section on the site. It is the Online GAMES section! These games are pretty decent. I'm sure you'll recognize most of them... Some are definitely old favorites for many of us while others are new and pretty enjoyable. They are all JAVA based and thus require a GUI browser that is JAVA capable. Take a look and play a while and let me know what you think!

==========

28 Jan 2001

Wow, a lot of time has passed since my last entry. As you can see, we were able to locate another service to provide us with a static domain name. There's been a lot of work done to the system the years. New hardware added and upgraded to, new software installed, new projects and pages designed and added... All in all, too much to remember and detail <GRIN>

On the WWW side of the system, we have pages served up in plain ascii using the ALT= tags so that nongraphical browsers can use the system, we have pages in frames w/javascript, and pages with no frames w/javascript. We're even using javascript to set some cookies now. These cookies are simply to give you some information about your visits here. The cookies are simply a visits counter, date of last visit and time of last visit. They are configured to expire in 365 days of your visit to the site. Nothing real big.

I've thought about using cookies to make the site a little more "personal" by using usernames. Many might see this as 'intrusive' while others would applaud it. I'm just thinking about it for now but it could lead to more work being done to make the messages areas on the BBS available on these web pages. But it would definitely require usernames and validation against the BBS' userbase.

I don't hear much, if anything from those of you accessing and using the system. It sure would be nice to have some feedback about the system, it's layout, and such. I may even put up a "Letters to the Admin" section <<GGG>>

==========

26 Jan 1999

As you can tell, we've been inaccessible via normal means for a little bit.
This is because the service that we were using, dyn.ml.org, to supply our domain name went "out of business." That caused us to start hunting for a new service which we appear to have found in dynip.com. So far, not much has changed other than our domain name. Hopefully we're back in the saddle again.

==========

31 Aug 1998

As you can see, I've gone and done a frames based site. I'm rather pleased with how it's gone but also know that there is still more work to do on it.

==========

6 May 1998

I've done a lot of work on the HTTP access to the file areas as I mentioned in my last entry in this section. I ended up writing a program to process the file areas from the BBS side and create HTML pages for each area. It was a bit easier than I first thought once I got into it. I'm rather pleased with the results thus far <GG> I'm still working with the FTP daemon. I have two of them that I'm looking at. One seems to be much better behaved than the other but it still has some quirks.

Please! If you experience any problems with anything on the site, use the email icons to send me a message and let me know what and where the problem is. I may have simply mistyped something.

Well, Star Trek - Voyager is on so I think I'll go take a break from this box and enjoy a little adventure to somewhere else ;-)

==========

6 Apr 1998

The FTP daemon seems to be working whenever it wants to so I've (finally) been able to get the file areas online via the HTTP daemon. This has been something I've been considering for a while and have finally decided to go ahead and get it done. It's not fancy or anything. That part =may= come later <G> Just click on the FILES button in the Button Bar on the left and have at it.
wkitty42
solar system

Return to What's new at Waldo's Place USA