YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream)

Support forum for the YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream) MOD for phpBB2.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

YDISHES Rating:

Excellent!
100%
Very Good
No votes
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes : 3

YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream)

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:50 am

MOD Title: YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream)
MOD Description: Use your site's domain name in the HELO and/or EHLO sent to your smarthost's SMTP server.
MOD Version: 1.0.2

MOD Download: YDISHES-1.0.2.zip

i don't know if this will help anyone or not but it can't hurt to try...

i have to use SMTP for sending out my board's messages... i can use my ISP's SMTP server but i had troubles with the default SMTP code... everything sent ok and there were no errors returned but nothing arrived at the destination... what was happening was that the SMTP server was apparently eating the email... why? i don't know and now, with this mod, i don't care ;)

anyway, i went digging and employed a TCP/IP snooper and discovered that SMTP.PHP was using the defined SMTP server's name in the HELO and EHLO connect messages sent to the SMTP server... i altered that code to use my site's name and BAM! (apologies to Emeril ;)) everything started working like a charm...

use it in good health!

[edit: updated to v1.0.2
## Adjusted to conform to new template format
## verified to be phpBB2 2.0.18 compliant
## submitted to modDB as v1.0.2]
wkitty42
solar system

Re: YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream)

Postby starchild » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:51 pm

Hey, wkitty,

Can you say if this is needed for the new phpBB3 or not? It works great and allowed me to get my v2 forums sending messages when it needed to. Why is it that some ISPs do this or is it something in the code that should have been done this way from the beginning?

Just wanted to add, thanks again!
starchild
star

Re: YDISHES (Your Domain in SMTP HELO EHLO Stream)

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:14 pm

yes, i'm sad to report that right now, with phpBB3 RC4, the same type of fix is needed to get emails to be sent properly... however, the filename and the lines to change are not the same :(

since i just updated to phpBB3, i had been looking at everything else to make sure that everything came across in the conversion and that it was all working well... this while also trying to learn my way around the new layout ;)

so anyway, i had someone test the system for me and we found that our outbound emails were be eaten by our service provider just exactly like they were before i created this mod for phpBB2... a few minutes hunting down the errant code and making almost the exact same change as before and everything was working as desired again...

i see that phpBB3 RC5 is now out and i need to upgrade to that... then i'll try to find the time to dig into the mod scene for phpBB3 and see what i have to do to get this mod out and available for phpBB3 8)
wkitty42
solar system

Return to YDISHES MOD